Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Does Technology Make Us Trained Monkeys?

     There are sociological experiments where you can program an animal to do what you want with some behavior modification (treats, shocks, etc.).  When done the animal would do what you expect with the right modification.  The same can be said in the right circumstances with humans, probably even more so.

     Take technology.  Technology has taken over our lives so much that we truly believe that we need it every day and actually, every minute of our lives.  How many people use their cell phone at least 10 times a day?  How many people look at their Facebook updates or get texts every hour on the hour?  If we did not have the technology that we have, would our lives be better or worse?  How many times have you looked at someone as if they were from another planet because they do not have a cell phone or email?

     Why would we need to be in contact with someone more quickly now then we did ten years ago? Is it because their relationship is more important now then before or is it simply because we have to justify the technology?  I have seen people answer the phone when they are talking to someone and ignore the person they were talking to for the person on the phone.  What does that say to the person not on the phone, that they are not as important?

    I have seen people run across a softball field because their cell phone was ringing.  I have seen people go through 'withdrawals' because they sent their tablet to get fixed or it was not charged. What is so important that it can't wait a few minutes or even a few days?

     Now technology does have its benefits. This blog is one of them being able to reach many people around the world. To be able to reach family and friends in emergencies when needed. However, alot of times these are the exceptions instead of the norms.

   So technology, or more so, the people behind technology have modified our behavior to make us believe that we need this technology.  From those commercials where families stay 'in touch' to the ones on the tablets where you can be doing something every minute of every day.  This is why people stand in lines or even worse, trample each other to get the latest upgrade or new product.

    So I end this by saying I am writing this as a hypocrite because I have 2 phones and 2 tablets not to mention 4 computers.  I only use about 40% of them at any given time, so why do I have so many of them?  I do not know when I came up with the notion that my life would be empty without this.  That is why I ask the question because I do wonder if my life would be better or worse without this technology.  My answer was neither because the things I use technology for, I would find another way to do it without technology. 

    Because one day the light might go out because my electronic payment was not made because of a server or computer issue.  Then I might have to use the 15 notebooks, a closet full of books and alot of pens to do the same things I am doing now.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment